Recruiting prospective OERu learners for academic credit in our 1st prototype course
Wayne Mackintosh
2012-10-25 07:22:49 UTC
Do you know of anyone interested in free learning opportunities to gain
formal credit in a first-year level bachelors degree course?

** **
If so, the launch of the first OERu prototype
course<http://wikieducator.org/Australia%27s_University_of_Southern_Queensland_launches_the_first_OERu_prototype>by
the University of Southern Queensland (USQ) in Australia on Regional
Relations in Asia and the Pacific (AST1000 <http://wikieducator.org/AST1000>)
may be of interest. Please feel free to invite colleagues, friends or
family who may be interested in the course.

** **

- *Course start**: *23 November 2012
- *Course completion*: April 2013
- *Where**: **Online* <http://wikieducator.org/AST1000>
- *Registration*:
Open<http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Getting_started>
- *Cost of OERu learning*: Free
- *Cost of Assessment services by USQ* : Assignment 1 (AU$50);
Assignment 2 (AU$50); Assignment 3 (AU$100) - Includes grade and feedback.

Everyone is free to participate including individuals interested in
providing volunteer support for our first cohort of OERu learners. The
AST1000 course materials can be accessed through
WikiEducator<http://wikieducator.org/AST1000>(does not require
registration), or via the Moodle
instance <http://moodle.wikieducator.org/course/view.php?id=69&section=1>hosted
by the OER Foundation. If you would like to receive announcements
via email, OERu learners should register on Moodle.

OERu learners can enrol for formal assessment services provided by the
University of Southern Queensland. There are three
assignments<http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Assessment>for
this course. On payment of the formal assessment fee, assignments
submitted will be graded by assessors at USQ. Learners will also receive
feedback on their assignments.

**

On successful completion and grading of the assignments (see grading
rubrics for Assignment
1<http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Assignment_1>
, Assignment 2 <http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Assignment_2>,
and Assignment 3<http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Reflective_journal>),
USQ will provide a "Certificate of Course Completion" which will identify
the student by name and the course (AST1000) as having been completed
successful with an assigned grade.****

** **

OERu learners that enrol for assessment and who complete all requirements
successful will also be able to apply to have their course completion
recognised as unspecified credit towards the Bachelor of General
Studies<http://www.usq.edu.au/handbook/2013/arts/BGEN.html> or
alternatively, depending on career preferences, for a number of other USQ
Bachelor Degrees.****

** **

For instructions on how to register see:
http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Getting_started****

** **
Please join us for the historical launch of the first OERu course.

With kind regards

Wayne

** **
*About AST1000*

AST1000 is a first-year level course in International Relations and the
Social Sciences on the books of the Faculty of Arts at the University of
Southern Queensland (USQ). The course will provide basic information about,
and analysis of, contemporary regional relationships, current affairs and
societies in Asia and the Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand.
Attention will be given to the personal and social skills that will
facilitate better international cooperation and cross cultural
communication in Asia and the Pacific.
--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Dr. K.S.Ramakrishnan
2012-10-25 09:53:17 UTC
25-10-12
Dear Sir,
Greetings. Myself Dr.K.S.Ramakrishnan, Assistant Professor, School of
Education, Tamil Nadu Open University, Chennai, India. It is amazing to see
that the first OER course is to be launched. I had already participated in
WikiEducator as a learner and then as a facilitator. I would like to join
the course as a facilitator and as a participant (student) also. Please
enroll me as a volunteer or facilitator. I want to render my services as
much as I can and I want to learn the dynamics of an online course on
OER.Expecting for your kind reply.
With Regards
Dr. K.S.Ramakrishnan
India

Wayne Mackintosh
2012-10-25 20:09:26 UTC
Dear Prof K.S.Ramakrishnan

Thank you for your generous offer to assist as an Academic Volunteer on the
AST1000 prototype course.

Please self-register - -you will find instructions on the getting started
page <http://wikieducator.org/AST1000/Course_guide/Getting_started>

One area we would need support is with Ask OERu, a community based question
and answer forum we are testing for the OERu model. We have developed a
tutorial on using this Q&A support
forum<http://wikieducator.org/Q%26A_support_forum/Create_an_account>,
in the mean time you can prepare by familiarising yourself with Ask OERu.

Wayne