Washington's Open Course Library: Millions in Textbook Savings for Students
Cable Green
2013-01-06 21:34:02 UTC
From Nicole Allen and the Washington's Community Colleges... (see below)
Bravo!

Cable

*From:* Nicole Allen [mailto:nicole-qLZhqc9f/***@public.gmane.org]
*Sent:* Friday, January 04, 2013 4:07 PM
*Subject:* Savings

OK, the results are in. You can quote me on the following:

Our 2011 white paper "Affordable Textbooks For Washington's Students: A
Cost Analysis of the Open Course
Library<http://www.studentpirgs.org/resources/cost-analysis-open-course-library>"
found that the Open Course Library would save students a total of
$1.26 million in textbook costs during the 2011-2012 academic year.

Following the methodology established in that paper, we find that by the
end of fall quarter 2012, the Open Course Library has saved students $3.10
million, which is well more than the original investment in the
program. By the end of the 2012-2013 academic year, the Open Course
Library will save students $5.07 million on textbook costs.

This level of savings is truly unprecedented, particularly considering the
return on investment for Washington taxpayers. This kind of program should
be applauded, and other states across the country should emulate it. The
nation needs Washington to continue its role as a leader in leveraging open
educational resources as a solution to the high cost of textbooks.

Nicole

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Global Learning
Creative Commons