New Zealand National Symposium on Open Education -- Opportunities to replicate for your own country
Wayne Mackintosh
2012-11-06 07:56:05 UTC
Hi Everyone,

New Zealand will be hosting a National Symposium on Open
Education<http://wikieducator.org/Otago_Polytechnic/National_Symposium_on_Open_Education>on
8 November 2012, In Wellington.

While the New Zealand symposium may not be of interest to our international
readers, the OER Foundation designed the agenda with reuse in mind.

Openly licensed, it will be relatively easy to replicate symposia of this
kind for your own countries, regions, provinces or states. Simply plug-in
your own international and national case studies. Reuse or adapt the existing
agenda<http://wikieducator.org/Otago_Polytechnic/National_Symposium_on_Open_Education/Agenda>
for
your own context and needs.

OER<http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/Events/Paris%20OER%20Declaration_01.pdf>,
the New Zealand National Symposium on OER will bring together educational
leaders and policy makers to consider the strategic opportunities for OER
in New Zealand and to explore policy enablers and practices for harnessing
the potential of open education approaches for the benefit of the formal
education sector in New Zealand.

Sadly, I've not been able to secure funding for a live webcast of the
symposium. However we have supplemented the main presentations
with asynchronous video versions for remote participants. The symposium
will commence work on “proposals for action” as the first step towards
planning the way forward for a sector-wide response to open education in
New Zealand and these proposals will be developed openly and transparently
in WikiEducator to facilitate wide participation from the sector.

We have a good mix of representatives from the school and tertiary sectors:
46% Executive or Senior Leaders; 42% Education practitioners; 14%
Government or state agency representatives and 8% from the NGO sector. We
invited participants to complete the Fair and Reasonable Practice survey to
compare New Zealand opinion with international data we have collected from
800 educators worldwide. I have posted a summary of the data comparison
online<http://www.slideshare.net/mackiwg/oer-fair-and-reasonable-practice-survey>
.

The OER Foundation looks forward to seeing more countries and regions
hosting their own national or regional symposia on open education. Please
feel free to reuse anything from the New Zealand symposium you may find
useful.

--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>